This picture shows the corner of Cheltenham Road and Cotham Brow around 1903 ... Fairchild's shoeing forge, Parker's auctioneers and the Beaufort House.  Previously known as Ivy Cottages, Mrs Eliza Clark was resident at No.2 prior to it becoming a pub in 1885.  Still trading, the pub is now known as the Cat & Wheel, a compliment to a famous pub that once stood in Castle Green.  The tenancy of George Morley commenced on the 5th of June 1939, the rent was £80 per annum which was increased to £150 on the 10th November 1939, the landlords were the Bristol Brewery Georges & Co. Limited.


CENSUS 1891.
Eliza Clark 60, head widow, beer retailer, Somersetshire Bath
George Oborn 24, nephew single, bottler, Somersetshire Bath
Minnie Titchbon 19, servant single, general servant, Gloucestershire Hambrook

CENSUS 1901.
Thomas C. Asby 35, head married, chef and wine & spirit & beer retailer, Tottenham
Lilly E. Asby 34, wife married
Rose E. Asby 3, daughter, Bristol
Emily L. Powell 50, servant single, nurse, Kent

CENSUS 1911.
John Lord 27, head married, manager of licensed house, Bristol
Grace Lord 21, wife married, London Surrey
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BEAUFORT HOUSE Cheltenham Road

1885 to 1893. Eliza Clark
1894 - 1901. Thomas Charles Asby
1903 - 04. Henry Piper
1906. Edward Colston Matthews
1909. John Willats
1911 - 31. Lionel Lord
1935 - 37. Charles Hawksley Morley
1939. George Morley
1944. Charles Hawksley Morley
1950 - 53. George Hudson

 

 

Bristol's Lost Pubs                                            home page  somerset   gloucestershire   bath pubs  

 

Central  Clifton  Hotwells  Bedminster  Redcliff  St.Philip's  St.George  Old Market  Easton  St.Paul's  Kingsdown  Other Districts