BLUE BOWL  Pithay

Raven & Bowl
1775. Thomas Harris

Blue Bowl
1794 - 1800. Robert Cooper
1816. John Stafford
1820 - 22. Andrew Clark
1823. Henry Phillips
1826 - 39. Evan Powell
1839 to 1841. Ann Powell
1842. William Woolcott
1844. John Barry
1848 - 51. John Wyatt
1851. William Woolcott
1853 - 57. William Dilling
1858 - 63. James Marshall
1865 - 69. Edward Daley
1870 to 1876. John Williams

The condition of this tavern was typical of buildings in this area which was cleared in the 1880s and 90s to make way for the Fry‘s chocolate factories. Today it would be at the junction of All Saints’ Street, Fairfax Street and Pithay. The landlord’s name on the sign above the window is John Williams the pub’s last licensee.

CENSUS 1841.
Ann Powell 55, publican, not born in county
Mary Ford 17, servant, not born in county
Catherine Johns 20, servant, born in county

CENSUS 1851.
William Woolcott 42, head married, victualler, Somerset Bath
Mary Ann Woolcott 33, wife married, Bristol
Jane Woolcott 7, daughter scholar, Bristol
Mary Ann Woolcott 2, daughter, Bristol
Eliza Bunn 31, servant widow, house servant, Bristol
Mary Ann Yeo 22, servant unmarried, house servant, Devon Collumpton

CENSUS 1871.
John Williams 32, head married, licensed victualler, Devon Knowstone
Mary Williams 36, wife married, Gloucestershire Tidenham
Mary Jane Williams 3, daughter, Bristol Christchurch
Florence Williams 6 months, daughter, Bristol Christchurch
Sarah Franklin 12, domestic servant, Bristol Christchurch


Central   Clifton    Hotwells   Bedminster   Totterdown    St.Philip’s   St.Paul’s   Kingsdown

St.George    Easton   Old Market   Redcliff   Other Districts   Adjacent Villages   Bath Pubs

BRISTOL’S LOST PUBS